Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Snow day stash busting and corned beef

Yesterday during the snow storm, in between shoveling, I crocheted using my Handspun. I got part of an Advent calendar scarf done, got up to day 13. I am up to a 4th color now, cream with bling. I found some pink and blue Handspun and used the whole thing to make a crochet Calm cowl and finish it. My small weekly commercial yarn crochet projects have become bigger handspun crochet projects. I am putting these up for sale in Etsy in September. The commercial yarn things go to the consignment shop in September. Sunday, Jan 19th, my little sister Annie showed up in the evening with a frozen block of corned beef. She thought I had given to her and was returning it because she was never going to cook it. After she left I checked it out because I knew I never gave her corned beef. It had a sell by date of 6/12/10! And was bought at Met Foods in the Bronx. This was my mother's corned beef! I looked up how long a cured piece of corned beef which has been cryovac sealed lasts when it is in a deep freeze on the Internet on the FDA site. It lasts years! As long as it was well sealed it would have no mold( throw it out), and no freezer burn( throw it out). It looked and smelled fine as it was defrosting in the fridge and I started cooking it at 11am Monday. I boiled it with beer and water. When I took it out of its boiling water at 3pm to let it set, my little sister showed up with her husband Big Rudy. It was the best piece of prehistoric corned beef we all ever had! Thank you Mama-San!

No comments:

Post a Comment